The council and planning commission met together for the first of several workshops to discuss what, if any, changes should be made to the Town Center overlay zone. The mayor, 4 members of the city council and 8 members of the planning commission were in attendance. One resident, Devirl Barfuss, attended the meeting.
The 1 hour meeting was facilitated by a well regarded city planning consultant. He asked a series of 5 questions. We were given colored post-it notes to write our responses to each question (in some cases we could only provide one response, in others two or three). The responses were put on the wall and organized into general themes. I thought it was an interesting exercise and the results will provide a foundation for future meetings.
Below are the questions that we asked and as many responses that were given as I can recall. Please feel free to share your thoughts by responding to the poll questions and/or by using the comment section (e.g. if you selected other and want to share what that was).
1. What about Highland makes you want to live here forever? Select 2 options.
2. What makes Highland different from other small towns (not necessarily better)? Select 2 options.
3. What would you like to see more of in Highland? Select 2 options.
4. What do you want to see less of in Highland? Select 2 options.
5. Imagine Town Center 20 years in the future. What do you see? Select as many options as you wish.
Below are the top generalized responses to each question from those in attendance.
What about Highland makes you want to live here forever?
- Values / family friendly (9)
- Large lots
What makes Highland different from other small towns (not necessarily better)?
- Large lots / views (9)
- Well educated / affluence (5)
- Sunday (3)
What would you like to see more of in Highland?
- Recreation (5)
- Business (4)
What do you want to see less of in Highland?
- High density development (3)
- Traffic (2)
- The rest of the responses could not be generalized
Imagine Town Center 20 years in the future. What do you see?
- More business (13)
- Community center / Library / Parks (11)