Sunday, October 4, 2015

Ponderize: “Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven?”

Ascension-of-Jesus - cropped

At the concluding session of General Conference today Elder Devin Durrant invited us to “ponderize” a scripture on a weekly basis. By “ponderize” he meant to select a scripture each week, place a copy of it somewhere where you can see it and then think about it several times each day. In doing so “words and phrases will be written on your hearts … and mind.”

Suzanne and I agreed to take up the challenge. I was immediately drawn to these verses in Acts (Act 1:10-11) as my first scripture, but resisted as it was not immediately apparent why:

10 And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

As I wondered why, the phrase “why stand ye gazing up into heaven” kept running through my mind. It occurred to me that the apostles were being asked why are you just standing here when you should be doing what Christ asked. That same sentiment could be applied to me this day. Why are you not doing something? You have been given wise counsel and direction. Act on it! How often have I attended a meeting, listened to a talk, or read a scripture where I felt inspired and then basked in the glow of the moment? However, later as life caught up with me, the thoughts were simply placed on a stack of to do’s and never acted on. I’d rather not talk about that.

So here is my plan. I will for the next 6 months “ponderize” a scripture by selecting one each Sunday, posting it in the “Ponderize” section I put on my blog. Then during the week I will write a short post on this scripture with any insights I get that are generally applicable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding this post.