Below is the most recent “2-Minute Tuesday” video from Utah’s Highlander summarizing the May 18th council meeting. It features scenes from the Lord of the Rings and Guardians of the Galaxy. This one got a good chuckle out of me.
This council meeting includes the following agenda items:
- A pressurized irrigation water update from staff.
- A legislative update from our state representative Brady Brammer.
- Approval of the final road maintenance contracts for this year.
- Formalization of the rules and processes relative to disposing of orphan property. Note, the specific parcels to be disposed of this year will be discussed and approved at a future council meeting.
This meeting will be held at city hall but we will also stream it on our YouTube channel (click here to watch). Note, individuals in a high-risk category, are encouraged to participate in the meeting virtually!
You can find an abbreviated meeting agenda together with my thoughts below. The complete agenda (106 pages) which includes the staff reports associated with each item can be accessed by clicking here.
Highland City Council Agenda
Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 7:00 PM council meeting
- Zoom: Call 1-346-248-7799 Meeting ID: 846 2415 9787
- Email comments prior to meeting: email@example.com
The time and duration listed at the end of agenda items is my guess as to the start time of this item and how long it will run..
UNSCHEDULED PUBLIC APPEARANCES 7:00 (15 minutes)
Time has been set aside for the public to express their ideas, concerns, and comments. Comments are limited to 3 minutes.
PRESENTATIONS 7:15 (45 minutes)
- North Point Solid Waste Special Service District – Neil Schwendiman
- Water Update – Jeff Murdoch
- Legislative Updates – Brady Brammer
- Introduction of New City Engineer – Andy Spencer
CONSENT ITEMS 8:00 PM (5 minutes)
Items on the consent agenda are of a routine nature or have been previously studied by the City Council. They are intended to be acted upon in one motion. Council members may pull items from consent if they would like them considered separately.
- Approval of Council Meeting Minutes for May 4th & May 18th. Administrative
- Approve contract for HA5 and Bonded Matrix Road Treatment in the amount of $219,829.63. Administrative
- Approve construction Contract for ONYX Sealant Treatment in the amount of $63,905.74. Administrative
- PUBLIC HEARING/ORDINANCE: TEXT AMENDMENT – NUISANCES Legislative 8:05 (10 minutes)
On May 4th the council amended the city municipal code (8.16.100) to create an objective standard for noise nuisances. Staff is proposing changes to the development code to make our code consistent with municipal code amendments.
PUBLIC HEARING/ORDINANCE: TEXT AMENDMENT – SPORTS AND FITNESS 8:15 (30 minutes) Legislative
Staff is proposing to amend the development code to clarify permissible uses in the C-1 Zone, CR Zone, and Town Center Overlay. These changes were remended by the planning commission on a 6 to 1 vote. Here is a summary of the proposed changes:
- The proposed amendment adjusts the permitted use in the C-1 Zone of “Fitness centers” to “Sports and fitness centers” to be consistent with the definitions section of the proposed amendment.
- The definition for ‘social dance facilities’ has been added as follows:
Buildings or portions thereof kept or used for social or recreational dancing not part of an organized instruction or training program. Does not include dance studios, nor does it include schools or churches if the use of the school or church as a social dance facility is occasional and incidental to the primary use of the building.
- The definition for ‘sports and fitness centers’ has been added as follows:
Facilities used for physical instruction, training, conditioning, exercising, and sport activities.
RESOLUTION: ADOPTION OF THE ORPHAN PROPERTY DISPOSAL POLICY Legislative 8:45 (30 minutes)
Under the direction of the council staff has put together a process for disposing of orphan property. The solution will establish:
- Criteria for which to review property for potential designation as orphan property.
- Determining the valuation of the property.
- How and when the Council will consider the disposal of orphan property
ORDINANCE: AMENDMENT TO THE MUNICIPAL CODE RELATING TO THE DISPOSAL ORPHAN PROPERTY Legislative 9:15 PM (10 minutes)
In order to implement the new process to dispose of orphan parcels a minor change needs to be made to section 2.44 Disposal of Public Property of municipal code and section 12.32 Designation of Open Space Property For Disposal needs to be repealed.
The council will approve the price for orphan parcels for 2021. The price established by the process identified in agenda 6 is $2.74 per square foot.
DISCUSSION: UTAH STATE AUDITOR’S FRAUD RISK ASSESSMENT 9:35 PM (15 minutes)
Staff will review with council the updated fraud, risk assessment..
MAYOR/COUNCIL AND STAFF COMMUNICATION ITEMS 9:50 (10 minutes)
- Future Meetings
- June 15, City Council Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hall
- June 22, Planning Commission Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hall
- July 6, City Council Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hall
- July 14, Lone Peak Public Safety District Board Meeting, 7:30 am, City Hall
- July 20, City Council Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hall
- July 27, Planning Commission Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hall
ADJOURNMENT 10:45 pm