Thirty residents and guests attended the council meeting. I don’t believe there was one single issue that brought most of the residents although I believe a number came to see the 11800 N / Highland Blvd Intersection safety construction motion approved.
David Larsen, a junior cabinet member, from Lone Peak HS, proposed putting an image of the LPHS Logo in the intersection of N. County Blvd and Cedar Hills Drive. The council indicated that they would support the initiative but that N. County Blvd was a state road and UDOT would need to authorize the project.
Kurt Ostler asked about a meeting that was held recently regarding Dry Creek Park. He was concerned that the plans had been finalized for this park and that Highland’s ability to influence the outcome was limited.
Dry Creek Park is a proposed park that will surround a year around reservoir that is being created by the North County Water Conservancy District. The 21.5 acre reservoir will be created after the district raises the level of the dam (located just east of Smith’s) by 6 ft.
The proposed park will have restrooms, covered picnic tables and a dock on the west side of the reservoir. The reservoir will be stocked with fish and a trail (primarily for fisherman) will go around the east side of the lake. No motorized boats will be allowed. A committee composed of residents from Lehi and Highland, as well as staff members from each city and a representative from the water conservancy district have met a couple of times hear concerns and work out proposed resolutions. Lehi will be funding part of the construction and will assume the operating costs of the park. Lehi will be coming to a future council meeting to provide a more formal presentation.
All consent items were unanimously approved as part of a single motion.
MOTION: Approval of Meeting Minutes for the City Council Regular Session – July 18, 2017 Click here to view the minutes.
- MOTION: Approval for Surplus and Disposal for Personal Public Property - Library Equipment. Click here to view background info from the agenda. The following items were put on disposal list.
MOTION: Final Plat Approval for a 56 lot single family subdivision located at approximately 12500 North 6100 West – Beacon Hills Plat G, Phases 1 & 2, Perry Homes. Click here to view background info from the agenda.
MOTION: Final Plat Approval of a 1 lot single family subdivision located at approximately 10685 North 6250 West – Breezy Anson. Click here to view background info from the agenda.
MOTION: Final Plat Approval of a 1 lot single family subdivision, located at approximately 5044 West Country Club Dr. – Gary Sheide. Click here to view background info from the agenda.
MOTION: Preliminary Plat Approval of a 16 lot single family subdivision located at approximately 10400 North 6000 West – Ruby Estates/Ivan Day. Click here to view background info from the agenda (please note that although the details in the agenda state final plat approval in a couple of places this is a preliminary plat approval). The council unanimously approved the preliminary plat approval subject to the following stipulations recommended by the planning commission (note, the Planning Commission unanimously approved the prelim plat):
- The final plat shall be in substantial conformance with the preliminary plat dated March 10, 2017.
- Final civil engineering plans to be reviewed and approved by the City Engineer.
- All required public improvements shall be installed as per City Engineer’s approval and Highland City Standards and Specifications.
- Water shall be dedicated as required by the Highland City Municipal Code and Development Code.
- A one-foot non-vehicular access easement shall be placed on the north side of lots 1 and 16, the west side of lots 12 and 13, and the south side of lots 9 and 18.
- Written approval from Lehi Irrigation District regarding the existing irrigation ditch shall be provided prior to final plat recordation or construction of the subdivision.
- Prospective homebuyers shall be informed by affidavit of the proximity of an existing operating farm. A note shall also be placed on the final plat.
MOTION: Approve and Authorize the Mayor to sign an Interlocal Agreement with Utah County for road construction on 4800 West. Click here to view background info from the agenda. The council unanimously approved a motion to enter in an agreement with Utah County to construct a right turn only lane onto SR 92 for south bound traffic on 4800 W. Note, work was intended to begin this year but bids for the project ended up being too high because of the short notice. The project will be rebid for next year.
PUBLIC HEARING/MOTION: Request to amend Timp View Point Subdivision Plat A – Joey Totorica. Click here to view background info from the agenda. The council unanimously approved splitting the lot located immediately west and north of Artic Circle to accommodate future development.
MOTION: Approve and Authorize the Mayor to sign a contract with Sterling Don Excavation for Road Construction on 11800 North in an amount not to exceed $39,757.54. Click here to view background info from the agenda. The council unanimously approved this motion to improve the safety of the 11800 N/Highland Blvd Intersection for school crossing by narrowing Highland Blvd south of 11800, adding a flashing school crossing light and changing the striping.
MAYOR, CITY COUNCIL & STAFF COMMUNICATION ITEMS
- Urban Deer Control Program – Jody Bates, City Recorder
- State Development Center Property – Mark Thompson, Mayor
- Open Space Purchase in Beacon Hills – Nathan Crane, City Administrator