For tonight’s meeting there are a number of interesting agenda items including:
- 2021 Highland City Survey results
- Review of open space and orphan property disposal parcels
- RAP Tax discussion
- Park maintenance building status update
This meeting will be held at city hall but there will be limited space because of distancing requirements. We will also stream it on our YouTube channel (click here to watch). Note, individuals, especially those in a high-risk category, are strongly encouraged to participate in the meeting virtually!
You can find an abbreviated meeting agenda together with my thoughts below. The complete agenda (117 pages) which includes the staff reports associated with each item can be accessed by clicking here.
Highland City Council Agenda
Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 7:00 PM council meeting
- Zoom: Call 1-346-248-7799 Meeting ID: 889 5166 4484
- Email comments prior to meeting: firstname.lastname@example.org
The time and duration listed at the end of agenda items is my guess as to the start time of this item and how long it will run..
UNSCHEDULED PUBLIC APPEARANCES 7:00 (20 minutes)
Time has been set aside for the public to express their ideas, concerns, and comments. Comments are limited to 3 minutes.
PRESENTATIONS 7:20 (20 minutes)
- Highland Citizen Survey Results – Mayor Rod Man
CONSENT ITEMS 7:40 PM (5 minutes)
Items on the consent agenda are of a routine nature or have been previously studied by the City Council. They are intended to be acted upon in one motion. Council members may pull items from consent if they would like them considered separately.
- Approval of Meeting Minutes for March 16th & 30th 2021 Administrative
- PUBLIC HEARING: PLAT AMENDMENT – HIGHLAND FIELDS LOTS 6 AND 7 Administrative. 7:45 (10 minutes)
The City Council will hold a public hearing to consider a request by Brandon Fairbanks to amend the Highland Fields Subdivision to combine Lots 6 and 7 located at 11664 and 11646 Highland Fields Drive. This is a straightforward request and should be resolved quickly.
SITE PLAN: Highland Town Plaza West Pad Administrative 7:55 (20 minutes) Administrative
The City Council will consider a request by Daniel Schmidt on behalf of WPI Enterprises, Inc., for approval of a Site Plan of a retail building located at approximately 5513 West 11000 North. This item was continued from the last council meeting. The council asked WPI to do more work on internal traffic circulation.
RESOLUTION: DECLARATION OF SURPLUS PROPERTY Legislative 8:15 (10 minutes)
MINOR SUBDIVISION FINAL PLAT: HIGHLAND TOWN PLAZA SUBDIVISION Administrative 8:25 PM (10 minutes)
The City Council will consider a request by Daniel Schmidt on behalf of WPI Enterprises, Inc., for approval of a proposed 3-lot subdivision located at approximately 5513 West 11000 North.
FINAL PLAT: TEN SEVEN HUNDRED (PREVIOUSLY APPLE CREEK) Administrative 8:35 (20 minutes)
The City Council will consider a request by McKay Christensen for Final Plat approval of Ten Seven Hundred, a proposed 42-lot attached single family subdivision with one parcel for future commercial development.
DISCUSSION: REVIEW OF OPEN SPACE AND ORPHAN PROPERTY FOR DISPOSAL 8:55 (25 min) Legislative
The City Council will review the open space and orphan property for disposal. This item is being presented for discussion and direction only. After eliminating the established process for eliminating “neighborhood option” trails and associated property the council formed a sub-committee to review all available city property and identify property that is in the best interest of the city to sell. The committee put together a list of criteria to use in determining whether property qualified for disposal. Here is the list:
- If property is associated with a trail, it should be put on hold, unless the council determines the trail is a not used and does not have infrastructure in the ground below.
- If the property adds to the “open space” feel of an open space neighborhood it should not be sold.
- If there are potential future city needs for the property, then we should hold.
- If the PI system cannot sustain adequate water pressure with the additional irrigatable acreage it should not be sold.
- Any property sold adjacent to a trail must allow the city to maintain ownership of the trail 5 ft on both sides.
- Can't sell if orphan parcels are created.
- Base price to be established and revised annually, based on an agreed upon basket of properties, using the county assessed values.
- The available property list will be reviewed annually and updated as appropriate. Process will be to discuss the parcels at a council meeting after the first of the year and then make a decision 30 days later
DISCUSSION: RAP TAX 9:20 PM (15 minutes)
The City Council will discuss the potential of establishing a RAP tax in Highland City. This item is being presented for discussion and direction only. The state allows municipalities to add 0.1% to the local sales tax, all of which goes to the municipality for the purpose of funding Recreation, Arts, and Park (capital projects and operations). The tax must be approved by voters and expires after 10 years unless it is renewed.
DISCUSSION: PARK MAINTENANCE BUILDING 9:35 PM (15 minutes)
The City Council will receive updates and discuss the status of the Park Maintenance Building. This item is being presented for discussion and direction only. This building is planned to be constructed on the north portion of the lot that houses the community center building.
MAYOR/COUNCIL AND STAFF COMMUNICATION ITEMS 9:50 (5 minutes)
- Future Meetings
- April 27, Planning Commission, 7:00 pm City Hall
- April 28, Lone Peak Public Safety District Meeting 7:30 am, City Hall
- May 4, City Council Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hall
- May 12, Lone Peak Public Safety District Board Meeting, 7:30 am, City Hall
- May 18, City Council Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hal
- May 25, Planning Commission Meeting, 7:00 pm, City Hall
The Highland City Council may temporarily recess the City Council meeting to convene in a closed session to discuss the character, professional competence, or physical or mental health of an individual, as provided by Utah Code Annotated §52-4-205.
ADJOURNMENT 10:30 pm